Arrival on the Sub-Continent
















Our stay in Oman is over time to jump to the sub-continent.  Our first stop is Gwadar in Pakistan.  Before we can do that, though we need fuel.  After make a good start at the airport we are delayed just under two hours waiting for fuel, in the hot sunshine.  Luckily the helicopter is on an apron far from the terminal.  I need to pee and could do so behind the helicopter on the apron, all evidence will evaporate away.

Our trip to Pakistan starts out with an immediate coasting out over the Gulf of Oman.  Today our water crossing will take just over two hours.  For most of the crossing we do not see any shipping.  Our first sightings occurred near the Pakistan coast.  Our crossing also takes us with 12 miles of Iran airspace, and we enter Pakistani airspace at APELO.  We make the crossing at 2,000ft.

Coasting in over Pakistan we suddenly realise that we are about to enter another desert region.  Over to my left I see a stadium standing alone in its dusty surrounds.  Straight in on RWY06 we see that Gwadar airport is a small provincial airport, not a large international airport that we have become accustomed to.  Setting down by the tower, we are greater by the tower operator who is followed from the other side by several customs officials.  All looks good, except we have been informed that Gwadar does not have any fuel.  We have only flown 2.5 hours today, we should be ok to refuel at OPPI, Pasani enroute.  We discuss this option with the tower operator, who does not put us off.  Clearing customs and immigration is a simple affair and when completed photos are taken as are selfies.

In total our turn around only takes around 30 minutes, we had planned for 2 hours, so we are back on track.  The winds are with us and looking at out fuel and time to go we decide that we can make Karachi without stopping.  We are lucky since when we pass OPPI we get no response from the tower .  It's looks as if we dodged a bullet today.  The geology enroute to Karachi is absolutely stunning, full of shapes in the dark grey "limestone" curved out by millions of years of water.  This scenery is some of the best I have seen so far.  The visibility is not great but we can see below us and be amazed by the shapes below.

As we approach Karachi a few clouds start to appear with in the haze and dust.  We are route over the  city and make sure that we avoid the tall buildings which occasionally disappear behind the small clouds.  In the city we can make out several cricket grounds, we have really arrived on the subcontinent.  Past the military base we are routed to the airport and approach on RWY 25L.  Having approached on 25L tower makes us wait for the "follow me" car.  The heat is stifferling and sweet mixed with sunscreen gets in my eyes.  With stinging eyes I set the helicopter down under the guidance of the marsheller.  Once down we go through the usual routine and offf to our hotel, Ramada airport at Karachi.  The Ramada is a walled complex with security at the gates and door.  The rooms are basic but of reasonable quality.  We discover happily that we have lucked out again, this hotel sells beer.  We are informed that it is the only hotel in the area that does so!  Pakistan has dry areas, we were unaware of this until now.

We have dinner, another chicken tikka for me with a German business man and drink our beers in the heat of Karachi.  Tonight the hotel is hosting a wedding.  After dinner, I watch the proceeding and ask if I may take some pictures.  Upon this request I am invited to join the guest and have a second meal, chicken handl, very similar to tikka.  My hosts insist that I eat with my hands, my right hand.  Since I am a guest I am also required to sprinkle money in front of the bride.  I am giving some local money by a kindly gentleman.

Towards the end, they play a specific song and I am invited to dance a traditional Indian dance, my normal dancing is not up to much, and I am sure that my Indian dancing is not much better.

My night ends late at 1:30 and I have an early start tomorrow.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garmin GTN™ 750Xi | Touchscreen Flight Navigator Checklists for Cirrus SR22 and Robinson R66

Bay of Biscay - Prison Boat Bluejay Conclusion

Matt & Maria’s Trip to Sri Lanka 2018 - Part 4